Let me ask you a question
Do you want to spend a fortune on building a website?
If you are a sane person (like me), then I guess your answer will be a resounding NO.
Nobody and I mean nobody wants to spend a fortune on creating a web presence.
BUT, having a professional website is a necessity in this day and age.
So, How do you create a website which is
- Good Looking and above all
Well, I have a 2 word answer for you. and Here it is
- 1 What is the cheapest way to create a website?
What is the cheapest way to create a website?
DIY Website Builders are the Cheapest and the easiest way for a small business owner to create a website which is professional and easy to maintain.
Tools like Wix , let you create a full functional website for a few hundred dollars per year.
In this post, I am going to discuss the cheapest website builders that can effectively be used to build and develop a website.
Beast Cheap Website Builders to create an inexpensive website.
Most of them come with drag and drop builders and easy to use interfaces that can be used by anyone – including those without web development skills – to develop and run a website. They include;
|Website Builder||Basic Price Per Month||Bandwidth||Storage||SSL||Domain|
|Gator||$ 3.84 (At 50% off)||Unlimited||Unlimited||Free||Free|
|Webnode||$ 3.95||1 GB||100 MB||No||No|
|WordPress.com||$ 4||Unlimited||3 GB||Free||No|
|Wix||$ 4.50||1 GB||500 MB||Free||Free|
|Weebly||$ 5||Unlimited||500 MB||Free||Connect a Custom Domain|
|Site123||$ 5.8||5 GB||10 GB||Free||Connect your domain|
|IM Creator||$ 8||Unlimited||Unlimited||No||No|
|Jimdo Creator||$ 9||10 GB||5 GB||Free||Free|
|Ucraft||$ 10||Unlimited||Unlimited||Free||Connect Your Domain|
|Bookmark||$ 11.99||Unlimited||Unlimited||Free||Connect your Domain|
|Strikingly||$ 12||500 MB||50 GB||Free||Connect Custom Domain|
Gator website builder is a new website builder provided by one of the best hosting companies we have today – HostGator.
The website builder is an easy to use builder with a drag and drop feature. It comes with a number of features and free hosting as well as a domain name (for the first year) included in all the plans. If you are not looking for just a website but an eCommerce store, they have a plan starting at $ 9.22 that specializes in building eCommerce stores with all the shopping functionalities.
The website builder also comes with many features out of the box that makes the process of designing your website straightforward. Some of these features include the drag and drop editor, well-designed templates to make sure that you do not start from scratch, productivity tools such as Google Suite, Social Media tools to add live feeds from social media accounts, website analytics, eCommerce features, and a free SSL certificate. These features will aid in making sure that you get a modern website that competes fairly with other businesses.
- All in one solution: Gator provides an all in one solution with hosting, domain registration and app integrations.
- Templates: It comes with hundreds of well-designed templates to get you started.
- Ease of use: Gator has one of the simplest onboarding processes and an easy to use drag and drop builder.
- Affordability: When it comes to pricing, Gator offers the most affordable website builder with a lot of features at such a cheap price.
- Pricing: Gator offers 50% off on the price. However, this applies only to the billing cycle you choose. When renewing, you will pay 100% of the price.
- Blogging: You can have a blog with your website on Gator. However, to have a blog, you will have to add it as an add-on as the feature does not come integrated with the template you choose.
- Apps: It does not allow you to integrate third-party applications to your website.
|Price Per Month||$ 3.84 (At 50% off)||$ 5.99 (At 50% off)||$ 9.22 (At 50% off)|
Yes – Gator is the best website builder for small companies and individuals looking to have a small website at a cheap price. It is affordable and has all the features that such businesses or individuals need to get a website up and running.
Webnode is a popular website builder with over 30 million registered users. It was founded in 2006 and has since developed with new features at affordable prices. It has a free plan that you can use to test if it meets your requirements.
Webnode is geared towards beginners and small companies with limited financial resources. It can be used to develop personal, business, as well as e-commerce websites. It comes with a drag and drop website builder that makes the process of building a website very easy. Although the layout of the builder is a little bit different and less intuitive than other builders, it is equally easy to use.
Webnode comes with more than sixty templates that are industry-specific, well designed and mobile friendly to make sure that you do not start from scratch. You also get a contact form integration and a basic blogging engine. It also allows you to embed Vimeo and YouTube videos onto your website.
If you plan to run a multilingual website, then you will find the translation feature quite useful. It will let you create multiple language versions of your website. However, the translation feature is only available with the paid plans.
- All in one solution: Webnode provides an all in one solution with hosting and domain registration.
- Free Plan: Webnode has a free plan that allows you to test the website builder before you can upgrade to the paid versions.
- Multi-lingual support: It allows you to create different versions of your site in up to twenty languages.
- Affordability: The prices on the paid plans are affordable compared to its competitors and a 15-day money-back guarantee.
- App Integrations: It comes with support for Google Analytics and integrated SEO tools
- Templates: Although you get templates on all plans, they all look similar.
- Bandwidth: All plans except the most expensive plan have limited bandwidth.
- Interface elements: Webnode lacks an app store to add extra interface elements.
- SEO Features: It comes with very basic SEO features and lacks 301 redirects.
- HTML and CSS code: If you want to tweak the CSS and HTML code to fully customize your website, you will not be able to do that with Webnode.
|Price Per Month||$ 3.95||$ 5.95||$ 11.95||$ 19.95|
|Storage||100 MB||500 MB||2 GB||5 GB|
|Bandwidth||1 GB||3 GB||10 GB||Unlimited|
Yes. I will recommend Webnode to users who eventually plan to build multilingual websites. While the feature set is a bit limited, The ease of use and availability of multi-language features can make up for it. The template selection is quite wide and the available templates are beautiful and responsive. Webnode can be an ideal solution for creating small and mid-sized websites
WordPress.com offers website building, blogging and hosting features at affordable prices. This is different from WordPress that most people know – it is a service from the company that owns WordPress, called Automattic.
WordPress.org is an open-source content management system that was founded in 2003. WordPress.com was founded after that and rides on some of the features of WordPress.org that makes WordPress so impressive today.
WordPress.com is easy to use and comes as an all in one solution with a builder and hosting. It comes with a lot of built-in features that allow you to get a modern website. One of the best features of WordPress.com is its blogging features. WordPress has the best blogging features you will find anywhere today. You get analytics, display categories, archive, comments, social bookmarking, search feature and RSS feed.
Even though WordPress.com has the best features for blogging, it is beaten hands down by other website builders when it comes to building business websites. They have an expensive business plan that comes with business templates, unlimited storage, and Google Analytics support. This plan allows you to add themes and third-party plugins to increase the functionality of your website.
- Blogging Features: WordPress.com comes with the best blogging features we have today. You will be able to create blogs easily with all the features that you need.
- Website Features: The builder has adopted most of its features from WordPress.org, which powers over 30% of websites in the world.
- Affordability: It comes with a free plan and the prices are quite affordable on the premium plans.
- Templates: You get well designed, mobile-friendly and modern themes.
- Drag and Drop Builder: It does not come with a WYSIWYG or drag-and-drop functionality.
- Templates: Most of the templates are only focussed on blogging.
- Ease of use: It is not very easy to use especially for beginners.
|Price Per Month||Free||$ 4||$ 8||$ 25||$ 45|
|Storage||3 GB||6 GB||13 GB||200 GB||200 GB|
|Free Domain (One Year)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Yes – however, I can only recommend WordPress.com for blogging sites. If you are looking to build a business website, then there are many other options that could do this for you.
Wix is a popular website builder that was started in 2006 and boasts of over 100 million users with many others joining every year.
It comes with a powerful drag and drop editor that makes it easy to create a website without writing a line of code. You also get amazing web development tools and hundreds of templates that are fully customizable and make sure you can easily get a website that meets your requirements. It also has a free plan, though with a Wix customized URL.
Wix incorporates both an AI platform and a classic template website builder into one. It gives you an option to choose from over five hundred templates and use the drag and drop feature to customize your website or use the AI platform that designs the website for you.
If you are looking to develop an eCommerce site, Wix lets you add products to your website in the free plan but it is not possible to sell them. In order to sell the products, you will need to upgrade to a paid plan. There are also eCommerce plans with the cheapest starting at $ 17 per month.
- Has a generous free plan.
- Option to choose between the AI platform and the classic website builder.
- Hundreds of well-designed and mobile-friendly industry-specific templates.
- Comes with all the required SEO features.
- Easy to use with a powerful drag and drop editor.
- Has a powerful media and image manager.
- You can not switch the theme once you start customizing it.
- There is no option to tweak the CSS and HTML code for those who want to further customize their websites.
- The lower plans have limits in bandwidth.
|Price Per Month||$ 4.50||$ 8.50||$ 12.50||$ 24.50|
|Domain||Free for 1 year||Free for 1 year||Free for 1 year||Not Free|
|Bandwidth||1 GB||2 GB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Storage||500 MB||3 GB||10 GB||20 GB|
Yes – Wix has all the features that you would like to build any type of a website. It is also very easy to use and comes with a lot of templates to choose from.
Founded in 2006, Weebly has grown to become one of the most used website builders we have today. It is all-inclusive and provides everything you need to get started on building and hosting your website.
Just like Wix, you get a free plan with Weebly but with a customized URL. With the drag and drop feature and its ease of use, Weebly does not have a learning curve – meaning that you will have a website up and running quickly.
It comes with a lot of stylish and modern themes that are designed to adapt to the requirements of different industries. The themes are mobile-friendly and fully customizable to make sure that you can meet all your requirements. If you would like to further edit your template, Weebly allows you access to the source code – this is only for those with web development skills.
Weebly comes with an App Center that allows you to integrate apps to your website for more functionality. You will also find image galleries, music and video players as well as other tools included in the editor, all for free. If you are looking for an eCommerce site, Weebly allows you to create an online store with an automated tax and shipping calculator as well as inventory management.
- Simple, mobile-friendly and stylish templates.
- The free plan is quite generous compared to what competitors offer.
- There is a basic eCommerce feature on the free plan.
- Bandwidth is unlimited on all the plans.
- Easy to use drag and drop website builder.
- Comes with an App center that allows you to add features to your site within just a few clicks.
- It allows you to add team members who can help you with the website customization.
- Weebly has limited design capabilities compared to some of its competitors such as Wix.
- Supports only three payment gateways.
- The media manager does not allow you to use the same image more than once.
- It does not have a backup and restore feature.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 5||$ 12||$ 25|
|Storage||500 MB||500 MB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Domain||Domain with Weebly Branding||Connect a Custom Domain||Connect a Custom Domain||Connect a Custom Domain|
Yes, Weebly comes with almost all the features you would need to build a modern website. It also has a generous free plan (you can test the eCommerce feature with this plan as well) that you can use to test if Weebly meets all your requirements.
Site123 website builder was started in 2016 and sought to make the process of building a website easy and straightforward.
The website builder works by first asking the website owner a number of questions and then it attempts to create a template with features based on the answers from the website owner. Its dashboard is intuitive and only contains options and features that are useful and that you will most likely need when building your website. It, however, lacks a drag and drop website builder but allows you to customize your website through the sidebar settings.
Site123 comes with well designed and mobile.friendly templates and apps that you can easily integrate into your website. You can also set up an eCommerce site with Site123, although the eCommerce features are limited.
It also comes with fairly good blogging features for those who would like to integrate a blogging feature into their website. It has analytics, a search feature, social bookmarking and an RSS feed to make blogging easy. However, it does not have display categories, comments section and archiving which some people find essential when it comes to blogging.
- A collection of apps and plugins for increased website functionality.
- Its templates and modern and mobile-friendly.
- It comes with amazing SEO optimization features.
- A 24/7 support team that is available all through to help when one is stuck.
- Even though it does not have a drag and drop builder, the editing sidebar is very easy to use.
- It offers a free SSL certificate on all plans.
- There are hundreds of free images offered through Unsplash.
- It is not possible to change the template when your site goes live.
- Limited creative freedom and flexibility.
- The features on the basic plan have limited capabilities compared to its competitors.
- You can not use the app and plugin integration on the free plan.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 5.8|
|Storage||500 MB||10 GB|
|Domain||SITE123 branded subdomain||Connect your domain|
|Bandwidth||1 GB||5 GB|
Yes. It is one of the best choices for website owners looking to have a clean and well-designed website without complicated design options that arise from styling and design features. Site123 has limited styling and design features.
IM Creator, or Simply IM, was founded in 2011 and according to their website, over 17 million websites have so far being developed using this website builder.
IM Creator is a robust website builder that comes with a set of templates that have both standard and advanced set of features. These features – amazing website and store layouts, inventory management and customer checkout among others – give one an opportunity to design a website that competes fairly in the business world. It comes with fully responsive and customizable templates for you to choose from.
However, although IM Creator comes with all these features, it is a little bit more difficult to use than other website builders. Users have complained of having to spend a considerable amount of time learning some basic things that they need in developing their websites. IM Creator has a mobile app that makes it easy for one to edit and customize their website on the go.
IM Creator Pros
- Has a wide variety of features that can be customized.
- Responsive and customizable templates.
- It allows one to change the design of the mobile website from the desktop editor.
IM Creator Cons
- Free account only available for students, artists, and non profit organizations.
- It is not as easy as other website builders to use.
- It is not suited for beginners.
|Plan||Students, Artists & Non.Profits||Premium||Unlimited Licenses & Whitelabel|
|Price||$ 3||$ 8 Per Month||$ 350 Annually|
|Ads||Ads Free||Ads Free||Ads Free|
Yes. If you are looking for a website builder that gives you a chance to fully customize your website, then IM Creator is one of the best options for you. However, note that it is poor if you are looking for good blogging features.
Jimdo Creator, a website builder and an all in one hosting solution that was founded in 2007 and its aim is to help those without coding experience to build their own websites.
In the past few years, Jimdo Creator has exponentially grown due to its amazing Jimdo Store Creator that, according to the company, has been used to develop over 200,000 online shops since its launch. Within a couple of minutes, you can activate your shop, add products and accept buyers from around the world. It comes with the eCommerce features that you will need to run a successful store.
Jimdo Creator comes with an intuitive and easy to use drag and drop builder. However, on the downside, it lacks a preview function meaning that your changes are saved on the live website. It has a mobile app that enables you to customize your website on the go.
Jimdo Creator has another website builder as well, called Dolphin. This is designed for website owners on a tight schedule who would like to have a website running within a short period of time. It uses Artificial Design Intelligence that requires a website owner to answer a couple of questions on the type of website that they would like to have and then designing the website itself.
Jimdo Creator Pros
- The drag and drop builder is easy to use even for beginners.
- It comes with powerful SEO features that gives you full control over all page elements.
- Its mobile app makes it easy to customize your website on the go.
- The customer support is available 24/7 to help sort out any issues.
- It has an unlimited storage space on the business plan or higher.
Jimdo Creator Cons
- Lacks backup and restore features when developing your website.
- The payment gateways for online stores are limited to only PayPal and cash.
- Although you get to choose a template, the template collection is limited to just a few compared to other website builders.
The pricing for developing a website is different from that for developing an online store. The website developing pricing is;
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 9||$ 15||$ 39|
|Storage||500 MB||5 GB||15 GB||Unlimited|
|Bandwidth||2 GB||10 GB||20 GB||Unlimited|
The pricing for developing an online store is;
|Price Per Month||$ 15||$ 19||$ 39|
|Storage||10 GB||15 GB||Unlimited|
Yes, if you are looking for a website in an industry that is traditionally relaxed such as the food industry or a small business that does not require a lot of work, then Jimdo Creator is your best bet. There are other website builders that would be better for extremely busy industries.
This is one of the youngest website builders but comes with a host of amazing features that allow one to build a website with a lot of ease.
Ucraft works a bit differently from most of the other website builders discussed in this post. Its pages are built by placing content blocks vertically on top of each other. Each of the blocks is a page and comprises of several elements that can be customized. Most block-based website builders lack the customization feature.
It comes with a number of mobile-friendly and sleek templates to choose from. However, most users have found it better to not rely on the templates but to build their own blocks since they are quite limited on design capabilities. There is also an integrated eCommerce function and an app store that allows you to add the functionality of your website.
Since its editor is pretty easy to use, it does not require you to have any web development skills to get a website up and running with this website builder.
- Ability to connect a custom domain in the free plan.
- A collection of responsive and modern templates.
- It allows one to customize their mobile sites.
- The media manager that allows you to use the same image more than once.
- The paid plans allow one to develop a multilingual website.
- You cannot tweak the HTML and CSS code for more customization.
- The editor will require some time learning how it works.
- It has limited features compared to other website builders such as Wix.
- Lacks basic photo editing tools.
|Plan||Free||Pro Website||Pro Shop||Unlimited|
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 10||$ 21||$ 69|
|Domain||Connect Your Domain||Connect Your Domain||Connect Your Domain||Connect Your Domain|
Yes. If you are looking to spend little to none on your website development, then the free Ucraft plan is one of the best you will get on any other free plan. The paid plans, of course, have additional features that will aid in the functionality of your website.
Bookmark website builder markets itself as the premier website builder for small businesses. It is AI powered that promises to get a website up and running within a couple of minutes.
Although this website builder is barely seven years old since it was launched, it has gained a lot of recognition around the world due to its advanced AIDA tool combined with the drag and drop feature that it comes with. The use of AI with Bookmark works pretty well compared to most of the other website builders such as Wix that have tried to implement the same.
Bookmark is smartly organized and comprises of the dashboard and the website editor. With the dashboard, you get access to your websites, the websites’ statistics, tech support, tutorials, and notifications while the website editor has the sidebar with all the settings, categories and the website editor itself. You can build a single page or multi-page website with this website builder.
- Readily available educative materials on how to use the website builder and a highly responsive support team.
- The AIDA website builder is quite sharp and helps create a website within a couple of minutes.
- It comes integrated with tools that aid in collecting website statistics.
- Very easy to use and does not require any coding skills.
- Single page websites require the creation of blocks which is inconveniencing.
- The drag and drop editor is not as good as that employed by other website builders.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 11.99||$ 24.99|
|Domain||Bookmark.com Subdomain||Connect your Domain||Connect your Domain|
Yes. I would recommend Bookmark for website owners who are looking to get a website up and running quickly with the IA feature. The free plan is also fair and has some good features for those who do not mind having a bookmark.com subdomain.
Strikingly was launched in 2012 as a solution for building single site websites. It has, however, added features that allow one to build multiple page websites, a blog and an online store.
Strikingly is one of the few website builders that allow one to switch templates during the website design process. For skilled website developers, you get the ability to add custom code to the header and footer sections of the website – but only on the paid plan.
The editor screen has two sections – the left sidebar with all elements used in building the website and the canvas. It also gives one pre-built sections when working on your website. You can easily add these sections to your website and customize them to meet your requirements.
Strikingly comes with a large collection of free templates categorized into different industries. These templates are mobile-friendly, modern and well designed. However, one of the downsides with Strikingly is the fact that its blogging features are limited. It does not allow you to create multiple authors and has a limited commenting feature.
- It is easy to use.
- Well thought features for designing single page websites.
- Mobile friendly, modern and responsive templates.
- Ability to change the template while building your website.
- Built-in eCommerce features and analytics.
- The customer support is friendly and highly responsive.
- Only the pro plan allows one to create multiple page websites.
- Limited features on the free plan compared to its competitors.
- eCommerce features are not well thought compared to what you get with other website builders.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 12||$ 20|
|Domain||Strikingly.com Domain||Connect Custom Domain||Connect Custom Domain|
|Websites||Unlimited Free Sites||2 Limited Sites (Unlimited Free Sites)||3 Pro Sites (Unlimited Free Sites)|
|Bandwidth||5 GB||50 GB||Unlimited|
|Storage||250 MB||500 MB||1 GB|
Yes, Strikingly comes with all the important features for building a modern website that competes fairly in the business world. However, the blogging and eCommerce features are a bit limited compared to some website builders such as Wix and Squarespace.
SimpleSite is one of the simplest, most basic and straightforward website builders we have today. It is suited for complete beginners who are looking to have a very basic website.
It comes with some very basic features that a person with some experience using other website builders would really be surprised to see. For example, it does not have any website templates. Instead of the templates, it comes with some very standard layouts with controls that help in customizing the content and the colors.
SimpleSite has a basic free plan that enables one to create a website with up to fifteen pages for free. This plan, just like most of the other free plans from other website builders, has limited design features and SimpleSite ads all over. However, unlike most other website builders, it allows you to sell up to five products if you create an online store with it.
The Pro plan allows you to create a website with unlimited pages, does not have ads and gives you access to more design features, a free domain name as well as five email addresses. The only downside with the Pro plan is the fact that it supports selling up to five products, just like the basic free plan.
- Very easy and straightforward even for novice users.
- It works well on mobile optimization.
- You can create an online store with the free plan.
- The designs are pretty old and out of date.
- Limited features and functionality.
- The customer support is very poor.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 15.49||$ 30.49|
|eCommerce||5 products||5 products||5 products|
No, not unless you are a complete beginner who wants to explore website builders. On all aspects of the features with this website builder, you can get a better website builder.
Squarespace is a software as a service company launched in 2004 that allows users to build websites using templates and an easy to use drag and drop editor.
Even though Squarespace is quite easy to use, it comes with a minimalistic interface whose usability has a lot of room for improvement. This has made most users spend quite a significant amount of time before they completely get used to the interface.
When it comes to the templates, this is where Squarespace beats most of the other website builders. It comes with stylish and modern website templates that give you a chance to have a responsive website. You also get a readme file with instructions with every template design that guides you on how to use the templates. If you have web development skills, then you can go ahead and tweak the HTML and CSS code for increased functionality.
Squarespace has an extension marketplace that allows you to integrate apps with your website. You also get add-ons such as appointment scheduling, photo galleries, social media widgets among others if you are on the business plan or higher.
- Over one hundred responsive and free templates.
- A feature rich blogging functionality.
- Responsive support team available 24/7.
- It has a mobile app that allows you to customize your website on the go.
- It is a little bit difficult for beginners to understand the website editor.
- Some users have reported low speeds on Google PageSpeed tools.
- It does not support deep menu hierarchy on its websites.
|Plans||Personal||Business||Basic Commerce||Advanced Commerce|
|Price Per Month||$ 12||$ 18||$ 26||$ 40|
Yes. Squarespace is one of the best website builders for those looking to have a modern website within a couple of minutes. If you are looking to have an eCommerce site, you get to choose from two plans that come with almost all the features that you need for a functional eCommerce store.
Although Duda is not as famous as some other website builders such as Wix and Squarespace, they claim that over 450,000 websites have so far been designed using the website builder.
Duda website builder comes with a wide variety of well designed templates to choose from. The editor allows you to easily edit these templates by building your own widgets, adding text and images and creating new pages. Duda is an all in one solution meaning that it also hosts the website for you. It also comes with an easy to use drag and drop website builder making it even more easy to use.
The templates with Duda are structured, which means that you get less creative freedom than most of the other website builders. Duda allows you to customize the templates, however, you have to follow certain rules while doing that. It gets difficult to use if you are a developer and try to push the limits a little bit too far.
- It allows you to build your own widgets that you can use to extend the functionality of your website.
- There are also a number of apps to integrate with your website.
- Duda is fairly easy to use even for beginners.
- It lacks a free plan and the premium plans are quite expensive.
- Limited design features.
- Some users have complained of inconveniences when they push the limits of the website builder.
|Price Per Month||$ 19||$ 29||$ 99|
Yes, it has good website design features. However, it is better when used by web designers who would like to create multiple websites for their clients.
With all these website builders, you have no reason at all to not have a website. If you are running a business, take one that meets all your requirements and your financial muscle. Please share your experience with any of these website builders in the comment section below.