Squarespace is one of the best and modern website builders oriented more on the design of websites built with it. It is also known for its non-technical and simple user interface. Its flexible and powerful styling editor beats most website builders and comes with amazing templates. However, despite all these goodies, you might find something that you do not like and maybe look for an alternative. In this post, we are going to discuss some of the best Squarespace alternatives.
Wix is one of the most famous website builders with the best features you will find today. It allows one to create a website with little to no effort without even having any web development skills.
Wix has one of the most intuitive interfaces that requires no technical knowledge. It has an easy to use and understand editor with an FAQ section to help when you are stuck while building your website. The Wix ADI system helps those that do not have much time to build their own website by themselves. It is an artificial intelligence system that asks you a couple of questions then gets you a website based on your answers to the questions.
Wix gives you professionally designed templates that are mobile-friendly and easy to use. You can easily customize these templates using the drag and drop editor to make sure that you get exactly what you are looking for. Wix even allows the development of multilingual websites to make sure that you can reach your customers in their native language.
- Has a generous free plan
- Exceptional and professionally designed templates
- Has an easy to use and powerful drag and drop editor
- Wix’s automatic backup is important in restoring to a previous version when you make mistakes
- SEO features are well thought compared to most of its competitors
- Compared to other website builders, it is flexible and allows moving of elements
- Its App market allows adding of apps to increase the functionality of your website
- The Wix Artificial Design Intelligence tool is important for those who want a website within no time
- You can not change to a new template once you have started working on another one
- There are limits on the bandwidth on the lower plans
- Wix does not allow customizing of the HTML and CSS code for those looking for further customization
|Price Per Month||$ 4.50||$ 8.50||$ 12.50||$ 24.50|
|Domain||Free for 1 year||Free for 1 year||Free for 1 year||Free for 1 year|
|Storage||500 MB||3 GB||10 GB||20 GB|
|Bandwidth||1 GB||2 GB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
Weebly, acquired by Square – an eCommerce company – in 2018, claims to have over 50m websites built using the website builder. You can use it to build a website, an online store or even a blog using its drag and drop website builder.
Weebly is one of the very few website builders that do not have a learning curve. You can be assured of having a website running by just dragging and dropping required elements on to your page within no time. You can then click on the elements to easily customize them to match your requirements.
It also offers a lot of beautiful and professionally designed themes with different page layouts suited to match your requirements. The templates are mobile-friendly and allow you to fully customize them to make sure that they look exactly the way you would like them to. If you are a web developer, Weebly gives you access to the templates HTML and CSS code for extended customization.
However, Weebly gets you a version of a mobile site that you can not edit and lacks a special feature for creating a multilingual website.
- Weebly has mobile-friendly and modern themes that are well designed
- Its App center allows you to add more applications to your website extending its functionality.
- Has a drag and drop editor that is very easy to use. Weebly is also very easy to use and does not have any learning curve.
- Allows the addition of collaborators for those who work as a team in building the website
- It has a generous free plan compared to most of its competitors
- You can set up an eCommerce website with the free plan
- Weebly does not limit its bandwidth on all of its plans
- It lacks a feature for the creation of multilingual websites
- Lacks a backup and restore feature
- You can only use up to three payment gateways
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 5||$ 12||$ 25|
|Storage||500 MB||500 MB||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Domain||Domain with Weebly Branding||Connect a Custom Domain||Connect a Custom Domain||Connect a Custom Domain|
WordPress.com is one of the oldest website builders and employs its website building techniques from the most famous Content Management System – WordPress. WordPress is much difficult to use for beginners, but WordPress.com makes all that easy since most of the technical stuff is already handled for you.
WordPress.com comes with a very basic and plain editor that looks more like a word processor. However, if you look at the editor’s menu options, you will find that it has more than most of the other website builders. You will get support for all types of media files including images, video and audio files as well as documents.
This website builder allows you to add media files from your computer, through a URL, from Pexels library for free or even from your Google Drive account. Furthermore, if you add more than a single image, WordPress.com automatically creates a gallery for you and you can display them the way you want.
When it comes to themes, WordPress.com gives you access to up to ninety-one themes. However, if you upgrade to the Business plan, you get more themes. However, unlike the regular WordPress that allows you to install plugins and add-ons to increase the functionality of your website, WordPress.com does not allow you to do so if you are not on the Business plan.
- Amazing blogging features – among the best with all website builders.
- Themes are well designed, modern and good looking.
- WordPress.com supports multiple websites.
- Prices are affordable compared to its competitors.
- It comes with amazing features for the prices.
- It costs more to add plugins and add-ons
- WordPress.com can be difficult to use for a complete beginner.
- Lacks drag and drop editor which is very easy to use for beginners.
- Most of its templates are focussed on blogging compared to websites.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 4||$ 8||$ 25||$ 45|
|Domain||No Free Domain||Free for one year||Free for one year||Free for one year||Free for one year|
|Storage||3 GB||6 GB||13 GB||200 GB||200 GB|
Just like the website builders discussed above, Site123 is an all inclusive website builder. The builder claims to be the easiest website builder on the planet – and just like its name, you can get a website within just a few steps.
Site123 comes with an easy to use editor that allows you to pick an element and then edit it to match your requirements. After editing a page, Site123 gives you a chance to preview your changes. It offers a preview mode for mobile devices, tablets and desktop computers.
Site123 offers numerous templates for you to choose from. However, the templates have limited creative freedom. This is because the templates come with sections that have predefined structures. These structures do not allow one to move elements like headlines, pictures, and videos around, meaning that you will have to use them the way they are. Site123 allows you to create a multilingual website – it comes with up to five languages that you can change from a menu. However, you have to be on a paid plan for this.
The website builder allows you to add more features to your website through the plugin settings to add to the functionality of your website. If you are a web developer that wants to edit the HTML and CSS code, Site123 does not allow you to do that.
- It allows you to create a multilingual website.
- The editor is easy to use due to its predefined sections.
- The free plan is quite generous.
- Support is available 24/7, especially on the live chat feature.
- The app market is useful and easy to use.
- You cannot change a template once you start customizing it.
- It is only suitable for creating standard websites due to its layout restrictions.
- One does not get access to the HTML and CSS code for further customization.
- The price of the premium plan is quite expensive compared to its competitors.
|Price Per Month||$ 0||$ 5.8|
|Bandwidth||1 GB||5 GB|
|Storage||500 MB||10 GB|
|Domain||SITE123 branded subdomain||Connect your domain|
Format is a website builder that specializes in building websites for creatives such as designers, models, artists, photographers, and illustrators among others. The system is easy to use and does require any coding language for one to build a portfolio website with it.
Format comes with a website builder like the website builders above but some users have reported finding it difficult to get used to the editor. This is because of the multiple options and settings that the editor has that makes it quite difficult for users to memorize and get used to.
The website builder comes with multiple features that, when used correctly, will get you an amazing portfolio to showcase your work. Since portfolio websites rely mostly on images, most of Format’s features are tailored to give you a good presentation of images to showcase your work.
If you are looking to integrate an online store with your portfolio, then Format allows you to do so. You can sell physical or digital products as well as services. It comes with well thought payment (PayPal for online payments), shipping, stocking, currency, and product settings to make sure that you can get a good store that works well.
- Offers mobile-friendly and well designed templates
- Has a responsive customer support team
- Format offers decent SEO features compared to most of its competitors
- It allows blogging and the creation of an online store
- Well thought media editing options
- The user interface is quite confusing especially to a beginner
- Templates are focussed on designing portfolio websites
|Price Per Month||$ 12||$ 18||$ 25|
If you are looking for another website builder than does something similar to Squarespace, then these five are among the best that will get the job done for you. Have you faced any difficulties using any of these website builders? Let us know in the comment section below.